Scholarship for Overcomers
The Je’Caryous Johnson Foundation is a nonprofit organization, whose goal to inspire and enrich lives through the arts and scholarship. Accordingly, the foundation will award one $5,000.00 scholarship in the spring semester of the current academic school year to an active student (a graduating high school senior), planning to pursue or (an undergraduate student) currently pursuing a college degree.
This scholarship will be awarded to a student who has demonstrated strength, courage and tenacity in the face of adversity, overcoming difficult obstacles in pursuit of his or her goals.
This one-time, non-renewable award will be paid directly to the institution the recipient will attend. Funds will be applied to student’s tuition costs only. To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must complete the online application at jecaryousjohnsonfoundation.org and upload all required documentation by January 31st. A committee will review all applications and the scholarship will be awarded based upon a rubric of pre-set criterion.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, APPLICANTS MUST:
- Be an active undergraduate student or
- Be classified as a senior, graduating in current school year
- Have a G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher
- Complete the online application at org by the January 31st deadline
- Upload a copy of his or her official high school transcript
- Upload two letters of recommendation
- one from a current or former teacher (must be a non-relative)
- one from a mentor, coach, activities sponsor community leader or employer (must be a non-relative)
- Provide information related to participation in extracurricular activities and/or community service
- Provide information related to leadership qualities and any awards or recognitions he/she has earned
- Complete the required essays
THE APPLICANT AWARDED THIS SCHOLARSHIP MUST SUBMIT:
- A copy of their letter of acceptance from the academic institution he or she will attend in the subsequent academic year
- The start date for classes and deadline for tuition payments
- The address, phone number and other related information for the Financial Affairs | Financial Aid Office at the school he or she will be attending
- Student ID number at the institution he or she will attend in the coming year
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Failure to attend school within one year of the scholarship award date will result in a forfeit of all funds.
- Applicants who receive this award agree to have their image and a brief bio featured on jecaryousjohnsonfoundation.org